Why You Need to register with your town hall in Spain

register with your town hall in Spain

Officially, every person who lives in Spain for more than 180 days per year is required by law to register on the ‘Padron’, which is a theofficial list of everybody who lives in a certain town. The Empadronamiento, is a register or census record, similar town electoral roll.

Your local Town Hall holds this list, and it is a way for them to know how many people live within their area. The information provided  is confidential and protected by dataprotection laws.

If you are listed on the‘Padron’ then you are eligible  to certain income-related benefits and other aspects of social care available at your Town Hall, including discounted courses (such as language courses) and culture/leisure activities.

You can only vote as a resident, too. in Local elections. your Residence Permit is your official proof of address, and your need it when carrying out pretty much any administrative task in Spain.


The Spanish citizens don’t need to renew it. But, if you are British, Irish, or any other country in the Europe Union you need to renew it every 5 years.

But there a difference between the Padron registration and the certificate. The document “el Certificado de Empadronamiento” this paper is valid only for 3 months as all the public documents in Spain. To update the certificate you just need to go to the office with a copy of your passport.

You only can be registered in the Padron as a resident, so if you apply for the Padron registration without your residency card, you have 3 months to go back to the town hall office and show your Residency. If you don’t do it, they will deregister you.

If you need to prove where you live with a copy of your padron say if you buy a house or open a bank account then you may be asked for a copy that is no more than 3 months old as with all public documents now.so you can get a updated copy from your town hall with a date on it to make it current.

Once Your registration on the padrón it needs to be updated each time you change address, and renewed every 2 years if you are a non-resident if you are a full time resident in Spain then its renewed every 5 years. If you do need a new padrón certificate, you can do it online now.

Documents you will need when registering

You will need:

  1. Original passport and photocopy/NIE or Certificate of Registration with the National Police Foreign Office and photocopy
  2. Proof of ownership of property (either your title deeds or a rates receipt in your name and a photocopy)
  3. If you do not own a property and are renting, your rental contract in Spanish and photocopy will suffice
  4. If you do not own a property and you are not renting, you have to come with the owner of the dwelling in order for them to sign the registration form, authorising you to register at their property
  5. All family members over the age of 18 have to sign the registration form

If this has been helpful please leave a comment thanks.

More documents you need when moving to Spain here..

moving to spain

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s